Recovery from addiction (eating disorders and cocaine):
We don’t offer a quick fix. That is what many of us were trying to do when we first distracted ourselves from unpleasant mental states or experiences. We self medicated, gave ourselves misguided kindness and compassion, to help take care of difficult things happening in our lives. And why not ? You may ask. Well quick fixes, are like band aids that fall off minutes later. Quick fixes perpetuate the vicious cycle of addiction. Why? Because while we may be momentarily relieved from our suffering, guarantee the unpleasant mental states we have been avoiding, will emerge again. Guarantee the craving for a better experience, or more pleasant mental states will emerge again. And when they do we will be reaching for that same or similar quick fix. (from WildMind, read more here)
More posts from Beyond Meds on addiction:
- Ask, not why the addiction, but why the pain?
- Addiction is not an Illness
- Our addiction to stuff is killing us. We need to own our inner addicts. All of us.
- Russell Brand: From Addiction to Recovery
- Mental illness, addiction & most chronic physical illness is the result of childhood loss & trauma
- We are all addicts…
- Breaking Through A Toxic Environment
- Power of addiction and addiction to power
- Our culture and society have destroyed the conditions required for healthy childhood development