In a lifetime of working with traumatized individuals, I have been struck by the intrinsic and wedded relationship between trauma and spirituality. With clients suffering from a daunting array of crippling symptoms, I have been privileged to witness profound and authentic transformations. Seemingly out of nowhere, as with Nancy from Chapter 2 who was held in “warm tingling waves” unexpected “side effects” appeared as these individuals mastered the monstrous trauma symptoms that had haunted them-emotionally, physically and psychologically. Surprises included ecstatic joy, exquisite clarity, effortless focus and an all-embracing sense of oneness.” — Peter Levine from, In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
In other words our bodies are wired to heal and will lead us to well-being if we have the opportunity to pay attention.
Two other posts that feature Peter Levine’s work on Beyond Meds:
● The healing journey revealed (trauma and transformation)
● Trauma is often held in the body and experienced as chronic pain
Peter Levine’s books that have become classics in the field of recovery from trauma:
● Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma: The Innate Capacity to Transform Overwhelming Experiences
● In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
● Healing Trauma: A Pioneering Program for Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body
● Freedom from Pain: Discover Your Body’s Power to Overcome Physical Pain
You must be logged in to post a comment.