Dr. Joanna Moncrieff, a psychiatrist, responds: (short answer, NO. They do not)
For more information that you very likely cannot get from your psychiatrist see: Psychiatric drug withdrawal and protracted withdrawal syndrome round-up
My story of having been gravely over-medicated is also sadly typical. People are routinely harmed and it’s widely denied.
See also Dr. Joanna Moncrieff’s blog:
- Psychiatry has its head in the sand: Royal College of Psychiatrists rejects discussion of crucial research on antipsychotics
- Antipsychotics and brain shrinkage: an update
- Long-term Antipsychotics – making sense of the evidence
- How can Community Treatment Orders still be justified?
- Why there’s no such thing as an ‘antidepressant’
The book by Moncrieff: The Myth of the Chemical Cure: A Critique of Psychiatric Drug Treatment
People are able to help themselves when information is made available. See: Drug free recovery from depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc…