This is a talk I gave at Alternatives in 2006 that addresses “What is trauma?” and how to heal it.
The talk is based on somatic and body awareness oriented therapies, primarily Somatic Experiencing developed by Peter Levine, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy / Hakomi developed by Pat Ogden, and Process Oriented Psychology created by Arnold Mindell.
Updated (August 2012) — More on Beyond Meds about Trauma and the Body:
- Trauma, Fixation and Reactivity – (Somatic Experience)
- The body releases trauma and restores goodness
- The healing journey revealed (trauma and transformation)
- Trauma is often held in the body and experienced as chronic pain
- Trauma release exercises (or tension release too) — the body speaks
Peter Levine has also written books that have become classics in the field of recovery from trauma.
This is his newest book:
The gift of healing trauma is wholeness, says Peter Levine.