This is to notify readers there is a new tab at top of page with links to info I’ve posted through the years about gut health.
Gut / intestinal health is foundational to all health including mental well-being. It’s the first thing attended to when I chose to come off psychiatric drugs. In healing my gut I needed to alter my diet. I’ve collected articles below that speak to these changes I made.
People who have taken psychiatric drugs often have gut issues. Sometimes these issues predate the psych drug use (as it did for me) and sometimes the psych drugs destabilize the gut and body in general and so the drugs are the cause of such issues. In either case it’s common that the use of psych drugs in time will further exacerbate the problem.
Because everything works together as we are truly holistic beings I was able to heal all sorts of issues I had prior to setting off on this journey…a few of them are listed below.
Diet and nutrition has corrected multiple problems for me. A short list of the things that come to mind immediately is:
- Twenty years of severe irritable bowel syndrome. (I went to dozens of gastroenterologists before discovering my own wellness through my own research)
- Psoriasis, a horrible skin condition, is virtually gone.
- My knees which were suffereing from what seemed to be arthritis for several years are no longer painful.
- My hair is much thicker and shinier than during my whole life. I had incredibly thin and sparse hair. It’s not luxurious even now, but the difference is amazing, striking and visible and palpable.
- Vast improvement of my endometriosis which I’m still working on. (I still sometimes have bad pain, but it’s much more intermittent)
That list is taken from the post “Total health and well-being” which is basically just saying what I said above. We’re holistic beings and everything we do effects our whole being. So healthy gut is a somewhat central place to start and it seems to make sense to a lot of people as a large percentage of people have gut issues and an even larger percentage of people on psychiatric meds do.
For more posts more specifically on gut health see below:
The information provided here is by no means exhaustive. It’s a good idea to expand your research beyond what I share below as it mostly pertains to my own particular experience which sometimes includes others, but certainly there will be cases that are more complicated than my own was.
- How I cured my irritable bowel syndrome–healthy gut is needed for healthy body and mind
- Another post with much of the above info, but also a critique of using SSRIs for gut issues (they often CAUSE gut issues)
- Healing the gut is imperative if one wants healthy body/mind/spirit: IBS, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be cured — with Dr. Mark Hyman
- Healing the gut for good mental health — probiotics
- Some thoughts on nutrition good gut health stops and starts with what you eat
- Total health and well-being Diet and nutrition has corrected multiple problems for me including a bad gut.