The below is a status update which I posted on Facebook the other day while thinking aloud about what I’ve learned about some of the experiences that have the clinical terms of “grandiosity” and “mania.” The clinical terms obfuscate and, often, if clinicians can affix the label to some behavior, they then think they understand what is going on. This is, of course, often, not true at all.
Below the quotation is a list of posts that allows one to reconsider the phenomena that which is often labeled bipolar disorder which will manifest uniquely in every different person and very likely have a different kaleidoscope of causes in each and every person, too. All mental health is this way which is one of the reasons why psychiatric diagnostic labels are at best grossly reductionistic.
The Facebook status update:
“Grandiosity” is a state of reactivity brought about by having been rejected, abandoned and invalidated in childhood. In a similar vein “mania” is a dissociative state. This is something that is rarely understood. In understanding mania as dissociative we see that it is a form of post traumatic stress. We are disconnected from the body when we experience mania. We are literally ungrounded. All of this can be healed by becoming aware on all fronts. Body/mind/spirit. I have done it and I know many others who have too. Healing is a journey that doesn’t end.
I just added a comment in response to someone on Facebook I am going to share here too. So this is a little update:
Until clarity comes through healing these experiences are often interpreted and understood through a distorted filter which explains the behavior which is often experienced as difficult by others. In clarity great insight and capacity is found in these movements as you are suggesting.
See more comments as they come in here on Facebook.
For more related info see:
- Rethinking bipolar disorder (a collection)
- Psychiatry ignores trauma says Dr. Bessel van der Kolk
- Mental illness, addiction & most chronic illness is linked to childhood loss & trauma
- Psychosis healing: stories, information and resources
- Drug free healing from depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc…
Healing involves all aspects of body/mind/spirit:
- Nature vs nurture, biological vs. psychological: how about both/and rather than either/or
- Mental health and diet: nutrition and gut health – everything matters when it comes to our total well-being and that includes the foods we eat
- Meditation. This simple. This difficult. And more meditation posts here
- BODY and MOVEMENT is integral too. Ecstatic dance — Yoga the possibilities are endless. How do you like to move? Explore and find your own favorite ways to move your body.
*it is potentially dangerous to come off medications without careful planning. Please be sure to be well educated before undertaking any sort of discontinuation of medications. Do not assume your MD will know how to do it either. They are generally not trained in discontinuation and may not know how to recognize withdrawal issues. A lot of withdrawal issues are misdiagnosed to be psychiatric problems This is why it’s good to educate oneself and find a doctor who is willing to learn with you. See: Psychiatric drug withdrawal and protracted withdrawal syndrome round-up