I made this meme photo today for Facebook. I figured I’d share it here with some links as well.
Our bodies, in perfect reflection of our psyches, hold our personal mythologies. In this way we are all unique. This is what western medicine does not get. Clinical trials can never capture this.
This is, in large part, what Bessel van der Kolk is getting at in his book as well. The Body Keeps the Score
More about Bessel van der Kolk’s work on Beyond Meds:
- The body knows: trauma and the body
- Restoring the Body: Yoga, EMDR, and Treating Trauma
- The memory of trauma is imprinted on the human organism
- The Body Keeps the Score (part 1)
- The Body Keeps the Score (Part Two) — how trauma changes us
Link to the book on Amazon: The Body Keeps the Score — By Bessel van der Kolk
More on topic:
- Nature vs nurture, biological vs. psychological: how about both/and rather than either/or
- Medical compliance? Adherence? No. My MDs are my PARTNERS
- We have internal guidance. Learn to listen.
- To see a professional or not
- Being the empowered patient