Whether or not you’ve ever dealt with a full-blown addiction, the compulsive desire to distract oneself from the pain of being human is universal. For this reason Gabor Maté’s work and insights can be valuable for anyone.
Addicts, like those who get labeled with mental illness have something in common. They have histories of TRAUMA
Gabor Maté helps us understand about our humanity and that of addicts too. We’re all very much the same.
More posts that feature Gabor Mate on Beyond Meds:
- Mental illness, addiction & most chronic physical illness is the result of childhood loss & trauma
- We are all addicts…
- Breaking Through A Toxic Environment
- Power of addiction and addiction to power
- Our culture and society have destroyed the conditions required for healthy childhood development
- Ask, not why the addiction, but why the pain?
This is Gabor Mate’s latest book which comes highly recommended: In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction
These look interesting too: