Looking for a new prescription for serious illness? Take eight intrepid patients, add a team of indigenous medicine men and shamans, and mix for 30 days in the Peruvian Amazon. Suffering from conditions ranging from Parkinson’s to prostate cancer to diabetes, these patients are motivated by a commitment to heal naturally and sheer desperation to end their suffering. Immersed in nature, silence and solitude, shamanic medicine ceremonies open them to the emotional and psychological issues underlying their dis-ease. The experienced shamans mindfully harvest and prepare specific remedies for their patients, with treatments that include healing songs and spiritual counsel. Entering the heart of healing in the heart of the Amazon, we find that saving the rainforest really does mean saving ourselves. See more: The Sacred Science
More on Shamanism from Beyond Meds (post copied here from the navigation menu at the top of the page):
When it comes to understanding the psyche it’s often helpful to use many different models. These are posts that deal with the distressed psyche from a shamanic interpretation or similar.
The biggest problem in our society now for those who get diagnosed with any sort of “psychosis,” is that they are most often met by professionals that do not even believe that healing can occur, let alone deep transformative growth. Deep transformative growth, could be the norm, if those claiming to be healers actually knew what was involved in the individuation journey. Meeting the dark underbelly of the psyche as those of us who have been labeled psychotic at one time or another is a calling and an act of heroism. One that is rarely encouraged in society. I might add that it’s to the detriment of all society that we are shut down and often tortured rather than supported. Many of us are healers trying to be born, just like Malidoma Somé says here: What a Shaman Sees in A Mental Hospital
There are many ways to find healing.
● Psychosis or Spiritual Awakening: Phil Borges at TED
● The sacred science: shamanism, plant medicine and spiritual ceremonies
● Multiple Worlds Anusuya StarBear: Madness Radio
● What a Shaman Sees in A Mental Hospital
● Introduction to the Shamanic Journey
● Shaking Medicine with Bradford Keeney
● Psychiatric drug withdrawal, kundalini and shamanic initiatory illness
● Crash course in urban shamanism
● The descent experience: metaphor for serious illness
● Psychosis, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Story as a Vehicle of Healing
● Soul in Crisis: why cultural healing must replace the “mental illness” fiction
● When we feel depressed, anxious, or distressed, are we mentally ill? Or are we spiritually confused?
● Compassion and the true meaning of empathy
● Why are the strengths and abilities of those who are sensitive called “mental illness?”
● Schizophrenic or shamanic experience?
● Spiritual aspects of psychosis and recovery
● We are all shamans in training
● An Intimate Walk through the Labyrinth of Madness and Mysticism
You must be logged in to post a comment.