Proposition 37 (the legislation to label GMOS that was up to vote on in California) lost. It lost because agribusiness poured millions and millions of dollars into defeating it. Many of the companies that paid to defeat it are in the organic business. I suggest avoiding giving them our business.
Hat tip to Integral Options Cafe
Prop 37 was narrowly defeated on Nov. 6, thanks to a relentless, deceitful $46-million advertising blitz. Among the food companies that helped to defeat the measure were:
● PepsiCo (Donated $2.5M): Naked Juice, Tostito’s Organic, Tropicana Organic
● Kraft (Donated $2M): Boca Burgers and Back to Nature
● Safeway (Member of Grocery Manufacturers Association, which donated $2M):“O” Organics
● Coca-Cola (Donated $1.7M): Honest Tea, Odwalla
● General Mills (Donated $1.2M): Muir Glen, Cascadian Farm, Larabar
● Con-Agra (Donated $1.2M): Orville Redenbacher’s Organic, Hunt’s Organic, Lightlife, Alexia
● Kellogg’s (Donated $791k): Kashi, Bear Naked, Morningstar Farms, Gardenburger
● Smucker’s (Donated $555k ): R.W. Knudsen, Santa Cruz Organic
● Unilever (Donated $467k): Ben & Jerry’s
● Dean Foods (Donated $254k): Horizon, Silk, White Wave
The above list was taken from the Organic Consumers Association
There will be no recipe for today’s foodie Friday. Click on the link to see a list of all foodie Fridays including recipes.
I have spent thousands of hours regularly updating this blog over the last 5 years. If you have found my work helpful and can afford to do so, please consider making a contribution and becoming a supporting subscriber of Beyond Meds.