Trailer for “Coming Off Psych Drugs: A Meeting of the Minds,” a 75-minute documentary film. More than half the film’s subjects have successfully come off a variety of medications, including antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, antidepressants, and benzos, and several participants give trainings on the process. Here they tell how they did it and they provide a philosophy and framework for coming off. Starring Will Hall, Oryx Cohen, Laura Delano, Chaya Grossberg, Daniel Hazen, Laura Van Tosh, and Spencer and Matt Ladner. Directed by Daniel Mackler. Available at www.wildtruth.net
More films by Daniel Mackler — I highly recommend all of them. For reviews and posts about them on Beyond Meds see here)
More info on psychiatric drug withdrawal from Beyond Meds below.
See here for the Freedom Center and Icarus manual written by Will Hall which is also featured in the film: Harm Reduction Guide To Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs & Withdrawal (revised edition)
For general information on withdrawing from psychiatric drugs with links to additional resources see here: Withdrawal 101
For additional information on psychiatric drug withdrawal support and withdrawal boards see here: Support in withdrawal
These posts and it’s content really only scratches the surface of the issues we face.
● The truth is often ugly… (what people are up against when they choose to free themselves from psych meds)
● Histamine intolerance(likely to apply to others on psych meds and coming off them too)
● Some thoughts on stopping psychiatric medications – pros and cons to coming off
● Introduction to psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome
● Psychiatric drug withdrawal: Why taper by 10% of your dosage?
● The slowness of slow tapers (safer withdrawal from psychiatric medications)
● Withdrawal syndrome vs adrenal fatigue
● Protracted withdrawal from SSRIs and SNRIs antidepressants
● GABA/Glutamate cycle in withdrawal from psychotropics– SSRIs, benzos, and Lamictal
● Multiple drug sensitivity (a not infrequent outcome of over-prescribed medications)
● Trellis: this is your brain on (psych) drugs
● GABA/glutamate system and how it might work with benzodiazepines and Lamictal
● Drug Withdrawal and Emotional Recovery
● Chronic pain (psych drug withdrawal induced and chronic pain in general too)
Share all of this information with the doctors in your life: A plea to prescribing physicians and psychiatrists: please help us heal
I also have a page that is a collection of my own withdrawal documented. It has a lot of posts that talk about what I learned on the withdrawal boards while I try to recover from my own protracted withdrawal and so a lot of it has value to others in withdrawal: Monica/Gianna: withdrawal documented
Recently the concise story of my withdrawal and subsequent disabling iatrogenic illness was published on David Healy’s site, RxIsk: Monica’s story: the aftermath of polypsychopharmacology
And for ways to support your recovery you can visit the Healing Arts and the Nutrition sections at the top of the page. There are drop down menus available with lots of options.
If you’ve found yourself very ill from this process I also have a section at the top of the page to support those with Chronic Illness. Check that drop-down menu too or click here.
You must be logged in to post a comment.